Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Holy Green Beans!

Did you know that in the year 2009 the Ohio State University did a study and only about 22% of all children between the ages of 2 and 5 are getting enough fruits and veggies?

In a world full of fast food and easy mac type meals how do you make kids excited about eating those things? Well, the answer is make it fun!

Little ones, especially those between 2 and 5 love being hands on and are super curious and that's why our Egg garden kits are the perfect birthday gift, Christmas gift, just because gift, Easter basket stuffer.. heck even the tooth fairy loves these and the bonding time you get to spend with your child or children is priceless.









This is Landon (my son). He's almost 2 1/2 and is beyond curious. Up until about a month ago he was super excited about veggies like carrots and green beans but now, it's like fighting tooth and nail so I figured I'd give this a shot. I explained to him that the seeds were veggies and that we had to make some mud for them. This was by far this favorite part of the process. My favorite had to be hearing him repeat all the vegetables names from Green beans, Radishes, Squash, Carrots, Watermelon and the one he cannot say yet Cucumbers.






This is our beautiful garden about 4 days after we started. The radishes were the first ones to pop up. Landon calls them flowers and helps me water them every day. A helpful trip is to use a medicine dropper. This allows him to water them without over doing it.






This is it again, about a week and a half after we planted. As you can see all the veggies, or "flowers" are really starting to take off.






And two weeks later everything is still going strong and the green beans are getting taller and taller. This is a green bean bush so there is no need to tie them to something which is fantastic for me because, I don't have the best thumbs.









Another week and we can plant our veggies outside and I cannot wait to try the veggies and based on Landon being so hands on I think he'll he even more excited to try them out.

XOXO,
December


P.S) If you'd like to try this with your little ones check out all the cute egg-carton gardens. I think the next one I'm going to do is the Good Night Garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment